Saturday, October 27, 2012

A long lost cousin and charity: water.

"I'm not really sure how we're related. Just that we're distant cousins. Distant enough that it would probably be legal for us to get married. Well, in some states. And if I wasn't already married to you."

When you move to New York, you find out about everyone's friends who also live in NYC. Everyone either offers advice, or offers someone who could offer advice. Matchmaking of different sorts occurs-- this person can help you find an apartment, this person knows how to find a job, this person could give you a backstage tour to a Broadway show... It might get old some day, but for now, I am enjoying hearing about how people are connected to this city!

The most recent connection was found through my mother. She and a co-worker recently found out that they are very distantly related and both have daughters in NYC. So, they played matchmaker, and last night Daniel and I found ourselves in Brooklyn to meet Laurel.

First of all, I love Brooklyn. It's like a larger Lawrence, Kansas. It has a lot of character, and a lot of characters, and it's just fun to walk around. When we stepped out of the metro station, we felt like we were in a completely different place and immediately began to feel sorry that the commute time to Brooklyn would most likely be too far for Daniel for us to live there. We met Laurel and her wonderful friends at the Roebling Tea Room, and settled down for a wonderful evening. Daniel and I haven't met many people yet, and so it was great just to be able to hang out with interesting people in a place where we could actually talk above the music. I hope we'll be seeing more of them!

While I'm blogging I should probably talk about my new internship! I am a part-time Special Events Intern at charity: water, a nonprofit which provides clean, safe drinking water to those who need it around the world. This organization is so incredible, so groundbreaking and innovative. I feel so honored to be a part of it for a short time!

I work on the Production Team, which is quite busy with preparations for the charity: ball, a fundraiser held every December. Click on the link to find out more about it. I can already tell I will be very sad when my internship ends in December. A fellow intern said that the more she works for the organization, the more she loves it, and I am inclined to agree. Everyone there is so interesting, friendly, and a pleasure to work with!

My search for a paying job continues. Sigh. Hopefully our apartment search will terminate this week as we've applied for a teeny tiny apartment in a great neighborhood on the Upper East. Also hopefully said apartment won't be swept away by a hurricane. Crossing fingers & toes!

No comments: